a seaside village in the lush Apokoronas region
Almyrida is a seaside village with a long, sandy beach, located in the very green Apokoronas region, approximately 25 kilometers from Chania. Traditionally a fishing village, it is now famous for its delicious food and shallow waters, ideal for children.
Wind surfers, kayaks, paddle boats and beach chairs can be rented on the beach. There are many taverns, bars, snack and cafe bars, gift shops, grocery stores and bakeries, all of which are open late into the night in the tourist season.
The name Almyrida is thought to come from the River Almyros that flows to the west, or from the tamarisks (almyrikia, salt cedar, flowering plants that grow in dry areas) found on the beach and above the main road of the village.
History tells us that the Apokoronas area was inhabited in Early Minoan times. It is thought that Almyrida was colonised by the Phoenicians, a Middle Eastern sea people and active traders who had good relations with the Minoans. Almyrida is also home to an early Christian basilica of the 5th-6th century AD, remains of which reveal impressively varied mosaics that can still be visited along the side of the road.
According to historical sources, the last battle in Crete against the Turks took place in the Almyrida area, in 1896.